Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:02:55 -0500
From:      Kevin Fogleman <krfogleman@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Monitoring changes in extended attributes?

Is there an existing way to monitor the entire filesystem for changes to
any file, particularly changes in extended attributes?

I'm looking to write a program that builds an index of all
user-accessable extended attributes for every file in the filesystem and
then updates that index in real time according to modifications to
existing files' attributes, creation of new files and deletion of files.
 I've read over the documentation for kqueue, but some things were left
unclear.  For example, it appears that kqueue needs a file descriptor
for each file that one would want to monitor, making any large-scale
file monitoring impractical.  Is there any other way in FreeBSD to be
notified of file modifications in a way that would allow one to monitor
the whole file system or large portions of it?  Also, I'm not very
knowledgable about file system conventions, so I'm wondering how one
would detect the creation of new files?  I don't really need to know
whether a particular attribute changed, but rather just whether any of
them changed.

BTW, I have posted this question earlier to freebsd-questions, but
nobody answered and, judging by the content of the other questions on
that list, I thought that my question would be more appropriate here.

--Kevin Fogleman