Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 00:57:21 -0600
From:      Gary Aitken <garya@ics.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: stty -- not

> I'm not sure what the right and proper way to do this is, but I have a
> printcap entry:
> where addcr does the following:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> sed -e 's/$/^M/'
> echo ^L
>
> (the two character sequences above ^M, etc are really the actual
> control characters).
>
> I then print lpr -Plc xxx to print something that isn't raw bits for
> my printer.  The ps entry is so I can print postscript files directly
> on my non-postscript printer with the aid of gs.  I lost my psfilt
> program in the last great disk crash, but it was a simple hack of
> gsbj.  Since I use aladdin gs, I get free pdf printing too :-).
>
> A kludge I know, but it even worked when I had the LA-50 hooked up to
> the machine, and that was a serial printer.  I just let lpd open the
> LA-50 in raw mode and dealt with the problem elsewhere.
>
> Pointers to the right way to do this would be accepted joyfully.

I thought of doing that as well, but since the dang thing is *supposed*
to work by tweaking the opost | onlcr bits, that seemed like the
right way to do it.  I figured since those bits have been in there
working for years they couldn't possibly be broken (I may still be
doing something wrong...  At this point I can kludge it to work
using stty or a filter; I guess it's time for some debugging.

--
Gary Aitken		garya@ics.com		(business)
			garya@dreamchaser.org	(personal)