Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2006 13:18:29 +0100
From:      Freminlins <freminlins@gmail.com>
To:        "Erik Norgaard" <norgaard@locolomo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Tyler Spivey <tspivey@pcdesk.net>
Subject:   Re: switching from linux to freebsd

On 01/08/06, Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org> wrote:

you may
> even want to mount it read-only for security. (I think these are good
> advises on any system).

I used to agree with this (specifically the mantra was "mount /usr read
only") - until I tried to patch anything! Then it's useless.

What you end up with is a machine which in which the base install is more
secure, but all your data isn't. The base install is the one thing I know I
can get back (i.e. reinstall) in 5 minutes. The data I cannot.

Cheers, Erik

Frem.