Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 1995 11:45:58 -0400
From:      Craig Struble <cstruble@quirk.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers), joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Subject:   Re: Weirdnesses with serial ports and lpd

On Fri, June 30, 1995 at 07:51:22 (+0200), J. Wunsch wrote:
 > As Craig .regexp. Struble wrote:
 > >
 > > The other problem has to do with lpd. It core dumps if I run lpr from
 > > within an XEmacs 19.12 command shell. It runs fine within an
 > > xterm. Anyone else seen this?
 >
 > Which is dumping core, lpd or lpr?
 >
 > I've never seen such a problem.  Using lpr all the time, also from
 > within (FSF) emacs.

lpd dumps core. Don't ask me why. I was trying to print a DVI file
from within XEmacs (I love LaTeX mode), and I noticed that nothing was
being piped to the printer. I went into /var/spool/output and there
was an lpd.core file. I tried typing it directly in the window,
thinking XEmacs was doing something wierd, same thing happens. Then I
tried printing the same file from the xterm and everything was fine.

It would seem to have something to do with the terminal settings,
here's the printcap entry:

#
# Okidata OL400e Page Printer--
#
lp|ol400e|lp1|text|ljet2p:\
        :if=/usr/local/libexec/lpr/apsfilter:\
        :lf=/var/log/lp1err:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
        :mx#0:\
        :pl#66:\
        :pw#80:\
        :sd=/var/spool/output/lp1:\
        :sh:

apsfilter is version 1.11. There are no errors in the error file.

I'd be more than happy to give you an account on my machine to try it
out some time. I'd like to know I'm not crazy.
	See ya later,
		Craig
--
Craig Struble - Grad Student, Consultant, | World's most versatile C program
Student ACM Co-President, Virginia Tech   | (*nix version)