Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 1996 12:40:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Brogan <jbrogan@reply.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Transfer rate problem

Greetings,

I have been trying to fix a "problem" which seems
to be out of my league as to the cure.
It deals with transfer rates during an FTP, UUCP
or other type of transfer between a DOS-based machine and
a FreeBSD 2.1-based machine.

Under windows, I can do a FTP transfer to the
BSD box using a generic FTP application running
with Winsock 2.1f  the transfer speed to/from
the bsd machine is around 280kbps which is fine
for what I need.  There is no problem here.

However, using the exact same machine but under
dos using a standard packet driver
and a FTP app for DOS I get a transfer rate
of 331kbps going from the BSD box to the
DOS box but only a 6.5kbps rate going from
the DOS box to the BSD box.  6.5kbps is just
too slow to transfer a large file to the BSD box.

The strangest thing about all of this is
this was working fine (350kbps under dos
both ways) under BSD 1.1.5.1 and
the exact same DOS machine setup.

I am getting similar poor performance when
doing a UUCP transfer in either direction
when using BSD 2.1.  I get about 5kbps to
or from the BSD box yet under 1.1.5.1 it was
around 250kbps when running a UUCP session.

Any ideas what could be causing this?  I have
not changed the DOS machines in years so I
don't think it was a re-configuration problem
there.  The only item that was changed
was going from BSD 1.1.5.1 to 2.1.0.
I have tried changing the TCP extensions and
that had no effect.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you have.  I'm
sure this is something simple but I have tried
everything to figure it out but with no success.
I'll gladly capture a tcpdump of the PUT session
that is getting such slow rates and send it to
whoever.

Thanks,

John Brogan
ReplyNet