Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:03:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      Steve Jorgensen <steve@khoral.com>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@research.kpn.com>
Subject:   Re: Linux JDK memory usage

> Dear Java mailing list,

> I have installed the Linux jdk 1.2.2. I realize it's dodgy business, and
> that there's no support and such, but I'd like to hear some of your
> experiences on how it uses memory.

> Top(1) tells me that each java application I run with that JDK uses no less
> than 80MB RAM (size, not res). Everything seems reasonably responsive, so I
> don't worry too much, but I'd still like to know what that is so.

> Why does it use so much?
	No idea..

> Does the Linux emulator aggravate the problem? I.e. when a FreeBSD port
> comes up, will it use less memory?

	I have yet to try the linux version under FreeBSD yet, but
	as a user of this jdk on a linux box at work, I can say I've never
	seen it use less than 80meg.  Even on a simple hello world
	program.

	To make matters worse, I'm currently using the jbuilder foundation
	for Linux IDE, a freely available all java IDE for java from the
	Borland folks, and it takes 160MB to run plus the minimum 80meg for
	each java app you're testing from the environment..

> Does it make use of shared libraries, so that if I start more applications I
> don't have huge redundancy?

	Not that I've seen, but I'm pretty new to java myself, so maybe
	I don't have it configured right?.

> Where can I buy cheap RAM? :-)

	:)

					Steve