Date:      Thu, 23 May 96 09:14:00 PDT
From:      Duncan Barclay <Duncan.Barclay@pa-consulting.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Strange things on 2.1R (gunzip broken)

Last night I tried to uncompress something from the 2.1R ports/distfiles
directory. Gunzip stopped with a crc error message after (subjectivly) short
while.
It used to work. I then tried copying a number of files off the cdrom and
uncompressing
from the disk drive. Same error. Then tried /stand/gunzip (a vote for by the
way) but discovered
it was compressed!!!! But that didnt uncompress either using
/usr/bin/gunzip. So off to the
live fileing system cdrom and used gunzip from there, which worked. Did a
diff and
_all_ of /usr/bin and /livefilesystem/usr/bin are different!!!!

Recent changes (like Tuesday) to the machine are the addition of an
Etherlink III card.
The problem manifests itself with the following kernels:
   kernel + ep0 driver
   kernel + ep0 driver, disabled
   kernel without ep0 driver.
   kernel=stripped down kernel, with drivers for a basic machine (ie.
sio[01]. lpt0.
   sc0, wdc[01], fd0, ft0, npx0) Hey Jordan this might be a useful addition
to the conf directory
   for people with a basic machine and dont need the hassle of cutting the
cruft out of GENERIC.

Machine
  486DX33 on a ISA/VESA motherboard. 2*IDE Drives and an ATAPI CDROM
  Everything worked fine before.

Help.

Things to do after work are extract a virgin copy of usr/bin from the
distribution cdrom and diff
it all. Try the generic kernel. Remove the EtherLInk III. Worry about data
and do a backup.

Thanks for any pointers.

Duncan