Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 09:49:15 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG, "Kuriyama, Kent K Mr (CPF N651KK)" <KuriyaKK@cpf.navy.mil>
Subject:   xl driver again? Re: mbuf leakage on 4.1.1-STABLE

[snip about possible mbuf leakage/starvation]

Can we get a cocensus about which ethernet card is in use here?

I've got several machines running fxp (intel etherexpress 100)
running under high loads without a single problem.  I have a single
host with 'xl' that seems to be having the _exact_ same symptoms
as you guys are describing:

Oct  9 15:24:38 xxx /kernel: xl0: no memory for rx list -- packet dropped!
Oct  9 15:25:10 xxx last message repeated 102 times
Oct  9 15:27:11 xxx last message repeated 473 times
Oct  9 15:30:08 xxx last message repeated 772 times

~ % netstat -m
131/4864 mbufs in use:
        129 mbufs allocated to data
        2 mbufs allocated to packet headers
128/4608/4608 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
9824 Kbytes allocated to network (2% in use)
1400 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

This leads me to believe that the driver is somehow tying down all
the mbufs for an extended period of time.  If this problem still
hasn't been addressed in 4.1.1 it should be of concern as 'xl' is
supposed to be only second to 'fxp' in terms of quality and speed.

The machine will recover after several minutes (without reboot),
but it's down long enough to trip our monitoring software that does
HTTP requests to the box.

I'll also note that the problem seems to be quite interesting as
I'm having nearly the exact same thing happen to me, basically the
card is fine for 2-3 days after reboot, then *BOOM* I run out of
mbufs, however mine does recover after a couple of minutes.

This problem has plagued the xl driver for nearly two years, If
there's anything I can do to help diagnose where the problem is
I'll be the first to try to provide any information requested.

xl0: <3Com 3c905B-TX Fast Etherlink XL> rev 0x00 int a irq 12 on pci0.15.0
xl0: Ethernet address: 00:10:4b:36:df:74
xl0: autoneg complete, link status good (full-duplex, 100Mbps)

Thanks for any assistance, I sure need it. :(

My solution so far has been to only get the fxp cards and replace
any xl's that I come across.