Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 18:54:41 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        tom@sdf.com (Tom)
Cc:        capriotti@geocities.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X based Free installation

>   GUI is doable, you just can't do it during the install.  It is chicken
> and egg problem.  You can't get a nice X display, until you've installed
> an X server for your video card, and lots of support software.

Don't say "can't" here.  Microsoft does it.  They use a dumb VGA driver,
and install accelerated ones that are card specific later.

>   X is large.  It wouldn't fit on single disk.  CD ROM would work (have a
> fully installed X on CD with support for all different video adapters.
> But what about non-CDROM installs?  FTP installs are very popular.

You could always make them NFS installs instead of FTP, and have the
distribution sites allow anonymous NFS.  Many of the big archives
allow anonymous NFS already.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---