Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 11:58:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Paul Herman <pherman@element-5.de>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On which alpha platforms can I run FreeBSD?

Paul Herman writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Sorry if this is in a FAQ, but I've looked around on web pages and mailing
 > list archives and couldn't find anything.  I'd like to run FreeBSD on an
 > alpha, and need to decide which alpha to buy.  From INSTALL.TXT I see that
 > it runs on:
 >
 >         UDB, Multia, AXPpci33, Noname
 >         EB164, PC164, PC164LX, PC164SX
 >         EB64+, Aspen Alpine, etc.
 >         AlphaStation 200, 250, 255, 400
 >         AlphaStation 500, 600
 >         Digital Personal Workstation 433, 500, 600
 >         DEC3000/300 family (netboot only)
 >         DEC3000/[4-9]00 family (netboot only)
 >

 > ...but when I look on www.digital.com/alphaserver/, I see completely
 > different model numbers (I assume this has to do with the digital/compaq
 > changeover).
 >
 > I see models like
 > 	AlphaServer 800, DS10, ES540, 4100, GS560E, 8200
 > 	AlphaStation DS10E, XP1000, "au Series"

It also has to do with the fact that the AlphaStations and the 3000
series are retired now & that the EBx and PCx are sold through
resellers & not directly from Deq.

The DS10 & XP1000 are supported in -current, but not -stable.
There is work in progress for some of the other server-class
platforms going on in -current right now.

The "au Series" refers to the Personal Workstation 433, 500, 600.
This is also known as the Miata.  When the name is "Personal
Workstation XXX" it is not surprising that people use shorter
nicknames ;-)