Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 1996 10:41:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jim@starshine.org>
To:        mc7953@mclink.it (Marco Masotti)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP Masquerading..

> >From: Jim Dennis <jim@starshine.org>
> >Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 13:13:46 -0700 (PDT)
> >Subject: Re: IP Masquerading..
> >
> >> I know Linux can do it (I have a friend who has it setup, >masquerading
> >> a Win95 machine through his Linux box to the network via ppp).
> >
> >> -Brandon Gillespie
>
>         Darren Reed's IPFilter package.  Consider using SOCKS instead.
>
> I guess it might be slightly simpler using the proxys included in TIS
> Toolkit.
>
> Till a few months ago, Socks required modification of your client. Is
> that yet true?
>
> Marco

	If I understood the Brandon correctly, he was trying to
	connect some non-Unix boxes through (Win '95?) the gateway.
	In this case all you need is a WINSOCK.DLL that knows about your
	proxying service -- all Windows applications should go through
	WINSOCK to get to any internet service (any that don't will
	by wildly incompatibly with lots of stuff).

	Does TIS FWTK include a WINSOCK binary (most Win'95 users don't
	have a compiler handy -- and vast differences exist between
	compilers and development environments on DOS Windows in general;
	code is often less portably between Borland, MS C, and
	Symantec/Zortech than it is between Solaris and Linux).

	I know that the trumpet WINSOCK can be configured to talk to
	a SOCKS server.  I don't know about TIS.  Also I noticed that
	there is a checkbox in the Win '95 TCP/IP configuration dialogs
	about "Use Proxy" (or words to that effect).  I don't know what
	they mean by that -- (I've heard rumors that it might tie into
	some proprietary NT proxying service -- maybe in "BackOffice"
	-- but I'd sure like to know more).

Jim Dennis,
Starshine Technical Services,