Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 06:23:53 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading

On Wed, Jul 22, 1998 at 01:00:55PM -0700, Tim Gerchmez wrote:
> At 03:21 AM 7/23/98 +1000, Sue Blake wrote:
>
> >FreeBSD-Questions is *the* place for advice and information on
> >upgrading and installing new versions.
>
> OK, so can we "discuss" the new version here though?

Of course. In fact, this will be a great opportunity to get a variety
of newbies views on anything that needs addressing from more of a
newbies (new freebsd-using businesses as well as home learners) perspective.
For example, from our experiences we might be able to identify areas of
documentation that need more attention than others, or show
appreciation for any new newbie-friendliness we find in 2.2.7.

I don't imagine we'll get into this with any volume or balance for a
while though, until after the CDs have started shipping for example.

Personally I don't see any need to upgrade if 2.2.6 is working fine as
it is. I tend to be one of those people who sit back and wait for the
screams of pain to die down before deciding if there is any real
incentive to upgrade, and 2.2.6 is pretty solid. I might keep upgrading
a few individual packages, but that's no sweat.

Maybe it's too many years of using other operating systems that's made
me so slow and cynical. Sure, it was nice to get rid of 2.1.5 but now
even 2.2.2 still serves most of my needs :-)

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-