Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 1996 23:59:06 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nightmare.

> a) Write a filesystem which understands tar files natively.  Note: there may
>    be a slight performance penalty for folks running with their root
>    partitions mounted on a TARFS - perhaps we could note this somewhere.

     While you're at it, how about tar-on-a-tape-FS?  There's an MSDOS
driver that makes a tape drive look like a disk drive.  Why not have
something similar for FreeBSD?  People can then use their tape drive as
a disk.  Imagine having the root disk on tape!  "Infinite storage!"
(1001 evil ;-})

     What about ZIPFS, or CPIOFS?  ZOOFS?  ARCFS?  LBRFS?  Punch-tape-FS
is possible, but it wouldn't be politically correct -- too many trees
would get cut down.  ;-}

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.