Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 15:35:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bernie Doehner <bad@wireless.net>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   fxtv 1.02 with XFree86 4.02 with TrueColor Visual and 4.0-RELEASE

Hi All:

Been absent for a while. Glad to be back.

I recently upgraded from fxtv 0.48 and XFree86 3.3.6 and 3.3-RELEASE to
fxtv 1.02 and XFree86 4.0.1 and 4.0-RELEASE. Installed fxtv from ports
(nothing special/different).

Using the same S3 Virge card, like I was with my previous setup, the 1.02
version of fxtv direct DMA mode doesn't work, and my poor K6/266 can't
keep up with the shm images mode at full 30 frames/second.

Basicaly, I fire it up (no arguments), I get good audio (albeit a few dB
weaker than before, but not objectionably).

But video capture is STOPPED. Blank screen. (verified with -debug driver).

I only get video if I select and keep open a menu selection... And then
according to -debug driver (and the missed frames/sluggishness) I am using
shm images.

Or I get continous capture if I start with -disableDirectV (not
affected by selecting or not selecting menus).

Is Direct DMA broken in this configuration? Are special settings required
in XFree or fxtv to make it work? Is there a newer version of fxtv?

It looks like fxtv looks at c->enable quite a bit when deciding to
CAPTUREStart/Stop, but I couldn't follow where/how this variable gets set
at init, and how the transition from stopped Direct transfer mode to SHM
Images is happening.

Direct Mode worked perfectly under fxtv 0.48 with XFree86 3.3.6 and
3.3-RELEASE.

Anything I can do to help troubleshoot this?

Thanks,

Bernie