Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 1996 13:17:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jason Garman <garman@phs.k12.ar.us>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   network weirdness?

I've just installed the new 2.1.5-release on my machine with an old 3c505
network card in it...

After some searching, I found that the eg driver supports my card, although
it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.  I recompiled the kernel and
set up the network options in sysconfig...On boot, FreeBSD recognizes my
card, and ifconfig's it for me, etc...

Heres some background:

I have two machines at home that are ethernetted together (my computer,
and my father's):

Jason (mine) 192.168.1.1
Art   (his)  192.158.1.2

My computer of course is running FreeBSD and my father's machine is
running DOS/Win3.1.

Now the problem is:

When I try to telnet into jason from art using NCSA Telnet (2.3.08, if it
matters), it simply hangs there.  Examining the arp cache with `arp -a'
shows that theres no entry for art.  Then I try pinging art from jason,
which works perfectly, and sticks an entry for art in the arp cache.

Only _after_ I've pinged art from jason can art connect to jason.

Another weird effect is that if I try to connect again, I have to manually
delete art's entry in the arp cache, ping art again, and then it will
connect.

Ifconfig eg0 gives:

eg0: flags=863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX> mtu 1500

And my routing tables look like:

Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
localhost          localhost          UH          0        0       lo0
garman-net         link#1             UC          0        0
jason              2:60:8c:1b:3d:d5   UHLW        0        4       lo0
art                2:60:8c:e:65:ae    UHLW        3      295       eg0    441

The last two entries of course appear after I've established a connection...

Any ideas?????

-- Jason