Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 16:43:04 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Leonard Sitongia <sitongia@cgd.ucar.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   LBA in Toshiba Portege 3110 to boot multi-os?

Hi,

I've searched all over for this... I wish Toshiba's support had a
non-commercial way to ask them questions over the net (their method
requires CompuServe membership)...

This Portege 3110 is a pretty new system, yet it doesn't appear to
have LBA (Logical Block Addressing) to support booting an OS who's
boot partition starts at a cylinder numbered over 1023.

On the other hand, the Win partition is first, is over 1GB in size,
and the second partition, FreeBSD-release, is the next partition,
and it boots OK.

I want to run -release and -current in different partitions so that
I can run them separately.

There's nothing in the BIOS settings about this.

I FIPS'd Win down to 1GB.  I put a 2GB partition in for -release.
That runs OK.  When I went to install -current into a new partition
starting about 3GB into the disk, I got complaints about something
too large or not fitting.  I figure, from the Handbook, that this
is the 1024 cylinder problem.

I tried setting up two root partitions at low cylinder numbers, but
the install complains about not being able to mount /mnt/dev/X on
/mnt/usr, or takes over the 2nd root as /usr, which is too small.  In
this case I had set up partitions as:

small unused partition
Win98
-release /		(mount point /)
-current /		(mount point /new)
-release swap
-current swap
-release /usr		(mount point /usr)
-current /usr		(mount point /newusr)

So the install tries to put everything in the -release /, or puts /usr
into -current /, although the mount point of /usr is explicitly defined
in the labeling.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!
--Leonard

--Leonard E. Sitongia           CGD Systems Group (CSG)
sitongia@ucar.edu               voice: (303)497-1338   fax: (303)497-1324
Climate and Global Dynamics	P.O. Box 3000 Boulder CO 80307  USA