Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:34:05 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How about building modules along with the kernel? (was: cvs commit: src/sys/modules/syscons/fire fire_saver.c src/sys/modules/syscons/rain rain_saver.c src/sys/modules/syscons/warp warp_saver.c)

In message <20000426070220.22F3F1CE1@overcee.netplex.com.au> Peter Wemm writes:
: - config(8)'s function of doing device wiring is intended to be split out
: into runtime-changeable configuration.  If you use loader(8), then it'll be
: a plain text file in something like /boot/devicehints or /kernel/*/devicehints
: or something.  The name doesn't matter at this point, but the key point is that
: you will be able to edit this file and reboot without having to recompile
: anything.  Hints will also be usable by device driver modules (eg: isa
: drivers).  *however*..  It will also be possible to take this hints or
: wiring file and generate a static table for compiling into a static kernel
: so that you can boot a single self-contained kernel without having to use
: loader (eg: from old netboot roms).  This would be equivalent to the present
: config(8) style system where ioconf.c is generated and compiled in statically.

I kinda sorta like this.  I'd like to see more details on this.  I
have been working in the area (see the hints driver that I wrote) to
do the wiring.  The static config stuff needs to be at a level so that
things may be excluded from the probe as well as included.

I also feel strongly that these things should all have approx the same
form and such so that as much as possible can be parsed in common.
I'd like to see the driver just request their foobar hint and have it
be provided for them.  I don't care if this is done via a mechanism
that can dynamically frow a hintsdatabase or not, but I think that it
would be useful if it could.

Warner