Date:      Sun, 13 Nov 2011 03:02:51 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Edward Martinez <eam1edward@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: apps to  display cpu temp

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 18:19:57 -0800, Edward Martinez wrote:
> Hi,
>

>   I have a Pentium 4 and i  have  been trying to  get  "coretemp" and
> "sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature" to display  my Cpu temperture ,
> however i have not had any luck using them
> Are there any other apps  perhaps from ports that reports CPU temp?

I've been using the port "xmbmon" for that, in
combination with

	device smbus
	device iicbus
	device iicsmb
	device iicbb
	device iic

in the kernel configuration file - on a Pentium 4
system. I haven't tried the sysctl method, because
xmbmon did work out of the box. :-) You can also
use mbmon for text output.

Here's an example from ~/.xinitrc calling xmbmon:

xmbmon -g 150x100+0+897 \
	-tmin 20.0 -tmax 70.0 \
	-cmtmb CPU -cltmb blue \
	-cmtcpu CS -cltcpu cyan \
	-cmtcs SYS -cltcs green \
	-vmin 2.0 -vmax 3.0 -cmvc V -clvc red &

Depending on the sensor installation of your
particular system, check if the different values
do match the hardware. Maybe check from within
your CMOS setup for reference values.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany