Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 1996 11:41:22 +0200
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   sysinstall Q wrt disk geometry

I installed (tried to) 0801-SNAP on a 1 GB Fujitsu (1033 64 32)
recently and since it's the third drive I have problem booting
it from a bootmanager. I seems that OSBS20B8 sees the partition
but doesn't find an operating system when booting it. (OSBS20B8
writes a drive number in front of the partition found and
it sees any partition on all three drives).

What I wonder is if sysinstall (fdisk) has changed policy
recently wrt disk geometry. Does it now silently use
'faked' geometry figures instead of the 'true' geometry?

In former sysinstalls I can remeber that I got a warning to use the
'G' option but this time (I may be wrong) I don't remeber having seen
this warning. Instead it seemed to me that fdisk silently assumed
1033 64 32 instead of leaving me a chance to decide which geometry to
use.

As a result of this it looks like OSBS20B8 assuming the 'true'
geometry it obtained from the adaptec bios while the disk
is fdisked with the faked geometry.