Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 2014 07:27:09 -0400
From:      Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
To:        dteske@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        'FreeBSD Questions' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, 'Boris' <borisbsd@gmail.com>, 'Alejandro Imass' <aimass@yabarana.com>
Subject:   Re: FBSD jail versus VMWare? What services do YOU run in a jail?

dteske@FreeBSD.org wrote:

> [...]

Wow vps is highly experimental and at it's core, it uses "VIMAGE" which
is also highly experimental and unsupported. It's hot server swap
ability is only achievable because of vps integration into FreeBSD
kernel making it require a unique vps version for each release of FreeBSD.

To me, I see vps as a wrapper around "VIMAGE" intended to simplify the
difficult network configuration setup associated with using "VIMAGE" in
a jail environment. Other FreeBSD services need to be made "VIMAGE"
aware, like firewalls IPF, PF which dump if run on the host with
"VIMAGE" compiled into the kernel and ipfw which does not dump but has
very limited functionality.

In this thread I read about references to ezjail. It's based on the
hosts rc.d boot scripts which in release 10.0 is being depreciated in
favor of jail(8). As the number of running jails increase the
difficultly of managing them also increases. ezjail has no provisions
to address this problem. qjail on the other hand is designed from the
ground floor to simplify the administration of large scale jail
environments [1 to 2000+ jails]. It's built around jail(8) and has
option to build vnet/vimage jails. You should review both qjail and
ezjail and choose based on which one best meets your unique usage
requirements.