Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 10:09:52 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: xl driver again? Re: mbuf leakage on 4.1.1-STABLE

Please stop trimming the cc's for no reason!

I purposefully cc'd the guy who wrote the xl driver (Bill Paul
<wpaul@freebsd.org>), the point is to engage several people in this
discussion and now he didn't see your reply that we're having the
same problem.  Please take the time to resend your reply to him
privately so he knows that this is happening to several people.

* Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net> [001012 10:00] wrote:

> > My solution so far has been to only get the fxp cards and replace
> > any xl's that I come across.
>
>     I'm picking up a Netgear FA310TX (should be delivered any day
> now).  At $20, it's cheap enough to see if it works any better for me.

So you think a 20$ network card is going to be better?  *snicker*

shell out the cash and get an Intel card, it's worth it, they can do
full 100mbit and hardly use any CPU.

and here's what the Driver author has to say about rl0 (nettear):

/*
 * The RealTek 8139 PCI NIC redefines the meaning of 'low end.' This is
 * probably the worst PCI ethernet controller ever made, with the possible
 * exception of the FEAST chip made by SMC. The 8139 supports bus-master
 * DMA, but it has a terrible interface that nullifies any performance
 * gains that bus-master DMA usually offers.

Have fun with it! :)