Date:      Sat, 3 Nov 2001 23:22:54 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: NatWest? no thanks

Let me throw in my $0.02 here:

1) Could you guys retitle this thread "ADA Website access" or something?
NatWest disappeared a long time ago.  Don't get me wrong I'm interested
in how it comes out.

2) Getting back to NatWest, where is the evidence that IE is not blind
accessible?  For the sake of argument assume that ADA applies to commercial
websites - well even if it did, it seems to me that there would only be
grounds to sue if IE somehow could not be make blind-accessible.  After all,
consider a porno website - blind people aren't consumers of pornographic
images and thus there is no access issue here, thus to make IE
blind-accessible
it would seem that all that would be necessary is to attach a braille
terminal and get IE to work with it.  Since blind people cannot by definition
consume images, all that a braille terminal need display on a website is the
textual information on the site.

It may be cynical to say this but wouldn't it be cheaper if someone like
AOL was sued for access problems, for them to simply work with Microsoft and
release a blind-enabled IE than to redesign their many websites.  Not only
would it be cheaper but also profitable.

3) Even if there was a US Supreme Court ruling that mandated ADA for
commercial
websites, how would it apply if the website content was not about something
that a blind person can use.  For example, consider a Hewlett Packard HP
Laserjet 4+.  This device has a front panel that is triggered by buttons and
used to select options on the printer.  Depending on the option cards and
SIMMS stuck in the printer the menues shown on the front panel are different.
To get the printer options one must issue a test page that prints on a
non-braille
printout.

Thus, there is no possible way that even if a blind person has all possible
permutations of a LaserJet 4+ front panel menu memorized, plus all the
buttons,
that he or she can walk up to a HP Laserjet 4+ that he has never seen or used
before and select options via the front panel because he has no way of knowing
what menus will be displayed.

Now, suppose I'm HP and operating under an ADA mandate, and I put out
documentation
for the HP Laserjet 4+ front panel on my website.  Well, what possible use is
it to make this documentation blind-accessible, because a blind person cannot
use the front panel anyway even if they could read the docs, without
assistance
of a sighted person?