Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 1996 11:02:27 +0100 (BST)
From:      Developer <dev@fgate.flevel.co.uk>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>, lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at, philip_milne@il.us.swissbank.com, hackers@freebsd.org, armando_ferreira@il.us.swissbank.com, charlie_conklin@il.us.swissbank.com
Subject:   Re: Nightmare.

On Wed, 14 Aug 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> a) Write a filesystem which understands tar files natively.  Note: there may
>    be a slight performance penalty for folks running with their root
>    partitions mounted on a TARFS - perhaps we could note this somewhere.

Well, this would be handy, but what would be really useful is making ufs
understand both tar and tar.gz files, so we could do things like:-

cd fred.tar.gz
ls
file1
file2
file3
cp file1 /tmp
cp /tmp/file1b file1

Etc..

I remember a similar thing on the Amiga that handled lha files in this
way.. but lha compressed each file in the archive seperatley so the whole
archive did not need to be de-compressed to get to a single file.

Regards,

Trefor S.