Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 02:10:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where is the FreeBSD Mozilla CVS server?

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, John Birrell wrote:

> I have to disagree with this. I think it is unwise to promote things
> that FreeBSD as a group hasn't done much with. And Mozilla is one
> of those.

The difference in my eyes is that FreeBSD is on the same level playing
field as everyone else. We were all given the source at the same time.
Except we use CVS daily and others don't. So that gives us bonus point
there. And after netscape denounced the rest of the Free OS world by
saying linux was their OS platform of choice instead of being fair about
it, they have clearly indicated they dont care about our talents, or our
useage of things like CVS which we clearly have more knowledge in.

> Jordan has set up the cvs tree and it is now up to people to use it.
> Or is this another one of those things that people want to play with
> but nobody really wants to work on?

I'm debating the fact that most things are play things as you put it.
My point is that we have sat back and done almost nothing to promote
FreeBSD. And this model clearly does not work to our advantage anymore.
If we want to see corporate sponsors and be taken seriously we are going
to have to start cracking heads. If that means stepping on netscape, IMO
and MO only then im all for it. They have writeen us off in public saying
they really want the talents of linux developers. So I say this is fair
game. And I dont really have any doubt in my mind that while the netscape
CVS tree might be a toy for most it WILL be worked on just like the rest
of the OS. To me hacking netscape is one of those fun things that most of
-core would rather be doing than hacking token ring drivers or whatnot :)
If popular opinion is that this idea is rash or of ill-judgement then
throw it in the bit bucket. But I think alot of us are getting tired of
FreeBSD being shoved in the background, ignored and suffering from PR
bitrot. Should we honestly do nothing to take advantage of this PR
opportunity? And yet again let FreeBSD not take advantage of something we
know, CVS. While at the same time riding on the coat tails of the netscape
source is free news stories? I think it would be a big mistake. But im not
a PR person, just someone whos tired of seeing FreeBSD put last in
reviews, left out of reviews, and ignored.

Chris

--
"I am closed minded. It keeps the rain out."

===================================| Open Systems Networking And Consulting.
  FreeBSD 2.2.6 is available now!  | Phone: 316-326-6800
-----------------------------------| 1402 N. Washington, Wellington, KS-67152
   FreeBSD: The power to serve!    | E-Mail: opsys@open-systems.net
      http://www.freebsd.org       | Consulting-Network Engineering-Security