Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 21:27:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, daniel_sobral@voga.com.br, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make_device_driver.sh

> > Is there any chance I can convince you to do seperate open/close calls
> > for each instance of an open or a close?
> >
> > PHK wanted this last year, but was shouted down because of the impact
> > it would have.  If you are about to cause the same magnitude impact
> > in the same area... it seems like a logical time to bring this up again.
>
> I personally like that idea too, but the problem is that the changes
> that I'm making won't effect that part (cdev/bdev structs) of the system..
> this only handles how devices are "attached", but the resources they
> provide (cdev/bdev/tty) are something different...

I was thinking more in the sense that the change is going to dictate
that every device driver change to rev it to work with the new code.

If there is going to be an acceptable reason to rev all of the device
code, then the not-quite acceptable reasons should shoe-horn in... the
old "in for a penny, in for a pound" theory.

At least contact PHK about it... 8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---