Date:      Sun, 3 Jun 2001 20:52:10 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where's BSD in this picture?

At 8:55 AM -0700 6/3/01, Rich Morin wrote:

>  An interesting, if ill-defined conjecture.  Do you meant that the
>  Mac OS X software on most received machines is never activated or
>  that it isn't activated as often as the Mac OS 9 software?

	Since MacOS X has only very recently started shipping on every
new machine (but not turned on by default), it's almost certain that
he is not referring to MacOS X.

>                        They also decided to ship a Developer Tools
>  CD with every boxed set of Mac OS X.  This is pretty radical stuff.

	Don't expect this to last.  As soon as MacOS X Server (OSXS) 2.0
is shipping, I would expect the developer tools to disappear from
MacOS X itself.  They really do want to restrict this stuff to just
developers and very early adopters, and everyone else can damn well
pay the $1000 it will cost, if they really want this stuff.

	Face it, that's just the kind of crappy attitude that Apple has.

>>OS X has a ways to go yet before the average user
>>will want to run it.
>
>  We have it running on a couple of machines.  It seems to be stable,
>  capable, and well-thought-out.

	I hate to say it, but I'm with Brett on this.

	No support for Lucent/Agere WaveLAN/Orinoco cards (even though
they are supported in MacOS 9 as "AirPort PC Cards", and the Apple
AirPort card is actually just a slightly modified Lucent/Agere
WaveLAN/Orinoco card with the external antenna removed and a
replacement fitting to attach to the built-in antenna in
AirPort-compatible computers.

	Limited support for true Unix filesystems (still works best with
Mac HFS and HFS+).

	The Finder clearly still has a long ways to go.  There's still a
lot of work that needs to be done on the Dock, and some solution
needs to be found for the Control Strip.

	There's more, but I think this is enough.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */