Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 14:31:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        invalid opcode <coredump@nervosa.com>
Cc:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, David Langford <root@dihelix.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quake's out, where's that Linux ELF emulation?

On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, invalid opcode wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Jake Hamby wrote:
> > heard of, and most of us sound (to a lesser extend) like FreeBSD fanatics
> > ---Jake
>
> I don't agree with this, we are actually trying to support Linux, if we
> were fanatics, we would say: ext2fs, linux emulation, screw that shit.
> Also, does Linux have any FreeBSD emulators?

I'm saying that we're "fanatics" by actively encouraging people to run
FreeBSD rather than Linux, otherwise we would just say, "Go ahead and run
Linux.  Our operating system isn't any better."  But we don't say that, do
we?  :-)

By supporting Linux FS and emulation, it is only a short-term solution to
encourage former Linux providers to migrate over to FreeBSD with a
minimum of pain.  Also, the Linux emulation originally started so we
could play Linux DOOM (hmmm!) and is still useful for running binary-only
apps that have no FreeBSD port.  We are supporting Linux, in other words,
for migration purposes, and because they have more binaries.  That explains
why we can run BSDI but not NetBSD binaries (popularity), and why NetBSD
CAN run FreeBSD binaries!

---Jake