Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 13:56:56 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        daniel_sobral@voga.com.br
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make_device_driver.sh

daniel_sobral@voga.com.br scribbled this message on Jan 8:

> > because the code is missing this functionality...  and requires the
> > hard coded configuration obtained from ioconf.c (via config(8))...
>
> IRQ, base i/o, interrupt vector, etc? I was planning to hard code all that
> into isa_device structure, through defines on lkm/drivername/Makefile. I'm
> more interested in providing an easy way to develop drivers (since most
> people using this script are likely to be beginners at the dd writing
> stuff) than any production level stuff. Not having to reboot is kind of
> neat. :-) Is there anything not in isa_device structure being set?

yes... currently the isa bus code is the one that attaches the irq
handler to the irq... so you will have to hard code this too...  Bruce
sent me some code to move the irq handler attach into the device driver,
which allows you to get ride of the public devintr that is currently
required...

I'm about to start work on that too, it's just that right now we have
SOOO many device drivers... many of them are not maintained (something
like 40 isa device drivers total), it takes a while if you want to start
changing thigs...

> > now you could hard code everything and just access the hardware, but
> > that would just be ugly... also, there isn't a way to access the
> > routine to initally config an isa device (but you can reconfig it)..
>
> What do you mean routine to initially config an isa device? What routine?

autocnf.c calls isa_configure which in turn calls config_isadev which
calls config_isadev_c which does the work of probing/attaching the
device...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD