Date:      26 Jul 2000 15:31:28 -0500
From:      James Felix Black <jfb@visi.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Questions about hardware support

Hi,

I'm going to be buying a new system (Athlon Thunderbird) to run
FreeBSD (and Windows for gaming.)  I have a couple of hardware
questions.

First, X.  I'm trying to decide between the Voodoo5 and the GeForce
2.  My concern is 2D quality and performance in X.  Will both of these
cards work?  Neither?  3D X performance is meaningless to me.  Also, I
want very badly to use a Kensington Expert Mouse (a four button
trackball) in X -- will I be able to use all four buttons?  I've had
problems in Linux before with the X server not distinguishing between
various and sundry button events.

SCSI.  I assume that an Adaptec 39160 would work flawlessly -- yes?
No?  Issues?

Finally, has anyone yet installed FreeBSD on a KT133 Athlon board
before?  If so, any recommendations?  I'm looking at a FIC AZ11
currently.

Thanks in advance,
(jfb)

--
My fellow Americans.  As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball,
but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward, upward not