Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 2002 15:42:46 +0800 (MYT)
From:      Dinesh Nair <dinesh@alphaque.com>
To:        Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Numerous hard hangs on TWO different ASUS P4T-E w/P4 1.6G

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Frank Mayhar wrote:

> I see very common short-term hangs, a few seconds to less than a minute.
> The mouse and keyboard stop responding, X stops updating and everything
> just pauses, the whole system (including the network).  It then starts

i've seen this happen on an Asus 1400R 1U rackmount server, P3 1Ghz, dual
intel etherexpress pro (fxp devices), 4GB RAM. thru trial and error i
tracked it down to apm causing it. disabling apm has not shown a
recurrence of the hang. however in my case, when it hung, everything froze
except the box still responded to pings. telnet, ssh or any other network
service wasnt responding however, just icmp.