Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 10:53:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Robert S. Sciuk" <rob@ControlQ.com>
To:        "Victor M. Mondragon A." <mdragon@vera.net>
Cc:        Carroll Kong <damascus@eden.rutgers.edu>, freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Commercial Database Use?

I agree with your sentiments about FreeBSD .. It IS a great OS, and much
more stable than some other nameless commercial products ... however -- if
Oracle is mandatory, then I think you should look at UnixWare, HP-UX,
Solaris or some other operating system with full support by/from Oracle.

Commercial s/w development must have a clear support stream.  If you are
not capable of supporting the OS, the DBMS and the application as well,
beware the freeware approach to commercial development.

With the Linux version of Oracle on FreeBSD:

	o you are relying on a version of Oracle from which they
	derive little if any revenues, and so risks being orphaned
	when the Linux hysteria dies down (any takers??).

	o you are relying on the Linux emulation on FreeBSD which runs
	the same risks of the Linux hysteria subsiding, and no-one any
	longer cares how well Linux native stuff runs on FreeBSD.

	o you are running in emulation mode which does not fully support
	Linux Threads, and so the scalability will be impinged on systems
	with multiple CPUs.

	o you are not supported by a real company on the OS.  Customer
	problem escalation will ride solely on your shoulders.  Not a
	problem when everything is working, but I can tell you some
	support horror stories which will curl your toes, even with
	vendor supported OS's, HW and applications.

If Intel hw is mandatory, you'd be hard pressed to beat SCO's UnixWare.
It scales well, is full SYSV, and seems more reasonably priced than
Solaris.

	Sparc -> Solaris,
	PARISC -> HP-UX,
	PWR -> AIX (but use DB2 not Oracle)

If this is for internal use only ... hey, try Postgresql/FreeBSD ... just
be aware of the implications for the dark day when something breaks -- or
have a hot spare.  That is the beauty of freeware -- take the money you
would have invested in commercial hw/os/applications, and twin the hw.

Just something to think about,

Cheers,
R.

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Victor M. Mondragon A. wrote:

> On the other hand, I feel much more 'secure' when the data resides on the
> Sun, somehow Oracle feels more at home.

	uh huh!

> IMHO __Oracle on (sparc) Solaris__ is the way to go (if you can afford
> it).

	Well, I'd check out HP-UX/Oracle as well