Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 22:08:56 +0000
From:      nsmart@indigo.ie (Niall Smart)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X based Free installation

On Jan 8,  6:54pm, Terry Lambert wrote:
> >   X is large.  It wouldn't fit on single disk.  CD ROM would work (have a
> > fully installed X on CD with support for all different video adapters.
> > But what about non-CDROM installs?  FTP installs are very popular.
>
> You could always make them NFS installs instead of FTP, and have the
> distribution sites allow anonymous NFS.  Many of the big archives
> allow anonymous NFS already.

Actually, I was playing around with the idea of an X based install
myself not so long ago, and I managed to squeeze an X server into a
fairly small amount of space:

-rw-r--r--  1 nsmart  nsmart  1964828 Jan  8 21:46 xmin.tar.bz2

This package includes the VGA16 server, xterm, some fonts and some
libs, but no keyboard maps.  BTW the executables are gzipped.

This indicates we would need at most three disks and could probably
get away with two.  I don't think we really need more than 16 colors
for the install, just some creative coloring.

Is the download of an extra disk really that much hassle compared
to the benefits of being able to provide first time UNIX users with
an interface that they have grown used to?  Installing *NIX is
generally percieved to be a tricky thing, an X based install would
go some way towards dispelling that myth.

I finish college in June and will have some free time then, if
-current isn't released by then I'm interested in persuing this
idea.

Niall