Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 1996 12:37:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Charlie ROOT <root@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Jim Dennis <jim@starshine.org>
Cc:        Bill Weiss <celestyte@pb.net>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Free BSD and Security

On Wed, 17 Jul 1996, Jim Dennis wrote: (on security)

> 	Use vipw to look for unusual accounts (like sync, toor or ruut,
> 	man, guest).  Make sure that their password fields are *'d out.
>

> 	Other questions/suggestions:
> 		(precede most of these with "Did you"... or "Do you want
>		to"

[list deleted]

> Jim Dennis,
> Starshine Technical Services

This is really good and last time I looked there wasn't anything like
this in the handbook, not only for "real" system administrators but
for individuals who install FreeBSD (and probably have an Internet
connection of one kind or another) and are in effect their own
(inexperienced) sysadmins.

Annelise