Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 22:44:05 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        benedict@echonyc.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: weird natd setup, can use input on how-to

As Snob Art Genre wrote...
> On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Wilko Bulte wrote:
>
> > I'm as far as getting ping to work from the storage to the sparc20.
>
> Okay, so IP is being routed from the 16.198 (production) network to the
> 192.168.200 (lab) network, and back.
>
> > I can also get out from the sparc20 to everywhere on 16.xxx.xxx.xxx
> > (gatekeeper.dec.com won't let me go further ;-) )
>
> Ok.
>
> > What does not want to work is telnet from storage to sparc20. Natd shows
> > the translations going on (with -v) but the connection times out.
>
> Can I see the output of natd?  I haven't worked with it.  Also, some
> tcpdump traces would be most helpful.  If you run one tcpdump on
> 192.168.200.1 and another on 16.198.16.101 (the two interfaces of
> storgate), we can determine exactly what's getting routed and what isn't.
>
> > Another problem: since wilkux is not on the same subnet as storgate I have
> > to give it a default route to the router responsible for the 16.198.208
> > network.
>
> Huh?  Is 16.198 subnetted?  You neglected to mention that.  ;-)

Yes it is. 16.* is the Digital network BTW.

> > Of course I want to set a route for 192.168.200.xxx to go thru
> > storgate. Question: can I get 192.168.200.xxx to be routed at all? It is
> > a RFC(I forgot) network which is supposed to be non-routed.
>
> Let's try and find out.  Give the 16.198.208 router a (static) route to
> the 192.168.200 network.

Hmm, I was afraid of that. I'll have to trick/bribe the network people into
doing that. I unfortunately don't control the routers.

> > When I ping to sparc20 from wilkux I end up getting an 'unreachable' from
> > gatekeeper.dec.com.
>
> There's no need for those packets to go all the way to the edge of your
> network and back.  Gatekeeper should never see them.

That was also my assumption.

> > Apparantly the router handling wilkux default route *does* try to route
> > the 192.168.200.xxx addresses. This also means the packets never arrive
> > at storgate.
>
> Sounds right to me.
>
> > What are the chances of ever getting this to work? I'm not a network expert
> > so I sure could use some help.
>
> Since it looks like storgate is routing those RFC 1918 addresses, there's
> no reason known to me why this setup shouldn't work.

I'll start talking to our network guys.

---------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net,Open]BSD Unix  --