Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 00:43:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Danny J. Zerkel" <dzerkel@columbus.rr.com>
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Vladimir B. Grebenschikov,Moscow,408-7227,123-4567,Some-info" <vova@express.ru>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: short uid/gid

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Danny J. Zerkel wrote:

> At least for our Linux emulation layer, supporting IPC_64 would be one
> of the pieces (probably the main one) keeping The Sims from running.
> The other thing we are missing is the Linux ioctl() interface for
> reading MSDOSFS directories, but that may be optional.
>
> I will eventually take a look at this (IPC_64) if the scheduling fairy
> brings me the time.

While I think support for the IPC_64 flag under emulation is useful, I'd
rather make use of compatibility system calls and type improvements for
the base FreeBSD implementation of the System V IPC APIs.  Most of the
work necessary to support those changes is required in order to better
support fine-grained locking and MAC (breaking out the user and kernel
structures).  Also, it means future applications will make use of the
improved APIs by default.  In addition, other systems, such as Solaris,
have already made this change in this way, avoiding the IPC_64 flag
design.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories