Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 09:17:24 -0600
From:      Ted Spradley <tsprad@set.spradley.tmi.net>
To:        "brian j. peterson" <rbw@myplace.org>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1/4.0, the alpha, and a dog named blue...

> On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, Talbot NEIL wrote:
>
> # I have been trying to set up a Alphastation  AS200 4/233 for the past 3
> # months and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with it.
> #
> # If so could you please email me with the details.
>
> i have an AS200 4/233 that i'd like to get running FreeBSD, so i'd
> appreciate it if any answers to his post were also sent to this mailing
> list.

It took me a little fooling around, but the problems were all my own.  Here's the quick synopsis of what worked:

1.  I'm using a Diamond Stealth S3 Trio video board that I have used with the S3 Xserver in i386.  The AS200 came with an 8 Mbyte TGA, but NetBSD didn't support that, and I don't think FreeBSD does, either (please correct me if I'm wrong, I'd love to be able to use it for X).  In fact, I had no video card in it when I did the initial installation.  I use a serial console.

2.  I updated the flash code to "V6.9-4, built on Oct 12 1998 at 11:22:55".  I don't know if this is necessary, but it works.

3.  I used the latest 4.0 snapshot from mirrors.rcn.com.  A quick look at the 3.0 cdrom didn't yield anything that looked like an Alpha installation to me, and I figured I may as well use the latest snapshot available.  I installed from ftp, overnight.

4.   I grabbed the kernel sources with the snapshot and configured my own kernel from that.

5.  I checked out current sources (~ Feb 14) applied Doug Rabson's patches <http://www.freebsd.org/~dfr/>; to the gcc compiler and ran 'make buildworld' and 'make installworld' and built another kernel.

6.  I applied Rabson's patch to the XFree86 port and built that and a few other ports that I wanted.  There was one source file somewhere that caused the compiler to abort unless compiled with no optimization at all, and some confusion on my part, but mostly It Just Worked.

What doesn't work is xdm:

xdm error (pid 36918): /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/libXdmGreet.so: Undefined symbol "SessionPingFailed" while loading /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/libXdmGreet.so

I just haven't taken the time to run this down yet.

If you need more details, just ask.