Date:      Tue, 26 May 2009 13:13:34 +0200
From:      Jos Chrispijn <jos@webrz.net>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Streaming server

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> so please test as it's true :)

I did test it and indeed it looks that way...
> actually youtube player does not throttle at all - just load as fast
> as possible into memory while playing at normal speed.
Yes but we are now discussing another service here. Imho there is some
difference between downloading (and viewing) by HTTP or viewing a
YouTube movie thru a YouTube site (and watching a Flash movie instead).
Do you mean that providing any movie in Flash format will have the same
advantages as it has viewing such a file thru a YouTube server?
> look at progress bar below movie window. if your network connection is
> fast, it quickly gets from beginning to end, while current position
> mark advances as movie is played.
That is true, I saw that indeed.
> in mplayer you can set buffer size, if you'll set it as large or
> larger as movie - it will behave the same way with FTP/HTTP provided
> movie.
>
> realplayer do the same thing, and supports both URL's and "live"
> streaming protocol.
So it would be better to forget my issue and rely on the smart settings
of the client's movieplayer?

thanks,
Jos Chrispijn