Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 10:02:17 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building new kernel fails?

At 03:54 PM 9/13/99 +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
>Folks,
>
>	Okay, I'm going to try this again.
>

>	Starting from 3.2-RELEASE, I cvsup'ed last night, and everything
>seemed to go well.  My /etc/daily.local file is:
>
>/usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/cvsupfile
>/usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/cvsupfile.intl
>cd /usr/src && make buildworld
>
>	I have since commented out these three lines, because I to make
>sure that I don't have any changes made on this system between
>periods of time when I've been able to work on it.
>
>	The functional bits of these two supfiles are:
>
>/etc/cvsupfile:
>*default  host=cvsup.de.FreeBSD.org
>*default  base=/usr
>*default  prefix=/usr
>*default  release=cvs
>*default  tag=RELENG_3
>*default  delete use-rel-suffix
>
>src-all
>*default tag=.
>ports-all
>doc-all
>
>/etc/cvsupfile.intl:
>*default  host=cvsup.internat.freebsd.org
>*default  base=/usr
>*default  prefix=/usr
>*default  release=cvs
>*default  tag=RELENG_3
>*default  delete use-rel-suffix
>
>src-crypto
>src-eBones
>src-secure
>
>	These taken directly from src/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile
>and secure-supfile from 3.2-RELEASE.

Are you sure you want
*default tag=.

/usr/src/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile looks like this on my box

*default host=CHANGE_THIS.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_3
*default delete use-rel-suffix

*default compress

src-all

Is all you really need.

Also, you will need to monitor and merge the changes in /etc.

You dont mention anything about that.

>	The "make buildworld" seemed to work okay, so I tried a separate
>"make installworld" this afternoon.  That seemed to work okay, too.
>When working on building a new kernel (before rebooting), "config
>HOST" seemed to work fine, as did "make depend" in ../../compile/HOST

Its probably safer if you do a
config -r HOST to remove the old cruft in your compile directory, or
rm -R ../../compile/HOST
config HOST
cd ../../compile/HOST
make depend;make

I would suggest not doing autobuilds until you are more comfortable with
the whole process.

	---Mike