Date:      Sun, 22 Sep 2019 11:20:14 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multi-volume archives

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

MJ wrote:
> >> If you don't like zip, what about 7zip? It has volumes which allow you=
 to break it up on the fly into parts
> > Hmm, maybe 7z in tar mode. It does not preserve permissions in 7-zip mo=
de.
>=20
>=20
> Yes, I just looked at the less-than-useless manual page on it. It does st=
ate that.
>=20
> (The manual page comes from linux and should probably be replaced with "T=
his page is intentionally blank", given such inanities as:
>=20
> "Do not use "-r" because this flag does not do what you think."

I've just checked and found out that 7z does store symlinks as symlinks
(unless -l is given) but it does not store inode numbers, so all
hardlinks become separate files after extraction.
>=20
> So, it seems you're trapped with using tar|split.

Looks like it.=20

--=20
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/