Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 1996 21:26:09 +0100
From:      Michel Lavondes <lavondes@tidtest.total.fr>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sanity check on HW configuration for FreeBSD 2.1.5+XFree86

Hi,

Can anyone give me an opinion about running FreeBSD 2.1.5 (or latest
stable version) on the following 2 HW platforms ?

Platform 1 :
- IBM PC server 320 (PCI-based Pentium machine)
- 48 MB RAM
- 1 1GB SCSI disk
- Adaptec 2940W SCSI board (comes with the machine, or so my IBM
  salescritter tells me)
- Ethernet interface (leaning toward 3com, not sure which is better
  of 3c503/3c505/3c509 (BTW, what's PNP support ? and what happened
  to 507 ?), willing to consider other sources if good reasons for
  that)

Platform 1 will run bind

Platform 2 :
- IBM PC server 320 (PCI-based Pentium machine)
- 64 MB RAM
- 2 1GB SCSI disk
- Adaptec 2940W SCSI board (comes with the machine, or so my IBM
  salescritter tells me)
- SCSI CD-ROM 4x
- 17" SVGA monitor
- 3-button serial mouse (logitech ?)
- Ethernet interface (same questions as above)

Platform 2 will run bind, gcc, XFree86

All hints/caveats/horror stories/rumors gratefully received.

advTHANKSance

Michel Lavondes (lavondes@tidtest.total.fr)
#include <disclaimer.h>
Governments are guilty until proved innocent