Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 10:16:37 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
Cc:        "Jamie Oulman" <jamie@techsquare.com>, "Brad Knowles" <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Just lost one to Linux. Compaq server support.

Brandon writes:

> Although I must admit that Apple's OS X is pretty
> tempting.

Commercial software is often tempting; it's designed that way.

> You are at the mercy of Apple ...

That's all I need to know, and that's a deal-killer.  Apple is much worse
than Microsoft, and they have a monopoly on both hardware and software, so
once you are locked in, you're doomed.

But I am curious:  If new Apple hardware runs Mac OS X, and OS X is based on
FreeBSD, does that mean that you can install honest-to-goodness FreeBSD on
an Apple hardware platform--with no trace of Apple software anywhere?  Now
_that_ might be interesting.

> ... they've made the bulk of their codebase available ...

When the OS fails inside their code, that isn't going to help.

I've already had a small number of occasions with FreeBSD on which I
couldn't figure out how something was actually working, and it was very nice
to have all the source on the system so that I can actually find out for
myself exactly what is going on.  Without source, you have to depend on
technical support, which not only costs money but is almost always
incompetent to help (they often have no more information than you do,
despite claims and implications to the contrary).