Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 10:23:35 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patches to if_loop + the interface cloning framework

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 10:10:49AM -0800, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 08:55:53PM -0800, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> > Why? From a theoretical standpoint, there's nothing mandatory
> > about it. E.g., consider a machine that is only a router, has
> > no users, etc. It doesn't need one.
>=20
> Try to build a kernel without,
>=20
>   pseudo-device   loop            # Network loopback
>=20
> And see what happens.

=46rom a _practical_ standpoint, a loopback interface must be compiled
in at this time.  However, that's not what Archie and I are arguing.
I'm arguing that since the requirement is not there in theory, we should
not be making moves which require it in practice.  The direction I'd like
to move in would be toward making loopback loadable and adding appropriate
module depends so it gets loaded or compiled in automaticly (with peter's
new kernel config/build system) when IP networking is enabled.

-- Brooks

--=20

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd--