Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 1996 14:37:39 BST
From:      Michael Searle <searle@longacre.demon.co.uk>
To:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nightmare

owner-hackers-digest@freefall.freebsd.org wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Aug 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>> a) Write a filesystem which understands tar files natively.  Note:
>> there may be a slight performance penalty for folks running with their
>> root partitions mounted on a TARFS - perhaps we could note this
>> somewhere.

> Well, this would be handy, but what would be really useful is making ufs
> understand both tar and tar.gz files, so we could do things like:-

> cd fred.tar.gz ls file1 file2 file3 cp file1 /tmp cp /tmp/file1b file1

> Etc..

> I remember a similar thing on the Amiga that handled lha files in this
> way.. but lha compressed each file in the archive seperatley so the
> whole archive did not need to be de-compressed to get to a single file.

There are similar things on the Acorn that can handle arc files and tar.gz
files, but it is very slow for tar.gz as the whole archive has to be read or
written at any access. You could get around this by using a gz.tar file
(with tar's blocksize changed to the disk's frag size), but a whole
compressed FS (like Doublespace etc. for DOS) would be better than either.

--
Michael Searle - searle@longacre.demon.co.uk