Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 08:55:18 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        "Chris J. Layne" <coredump@nervosa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: just a small observation

>  /usr/bin/ld -e start -dc -dp -o foo /usr/lib/crt0.o /var/tmp/cc0013731.o
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a -lc /usr/lib/libgcc.a
..
> question, why does gcc cause ld to link in the libgcc library more than
> once?

Because there are dependencies that are necessary.

> And is there any reason it isn't using the shared gcc library?

Yes.  Shared libraries should be for things that are *common* across
OS's.  Making *everything* a shared libraries means that anytime that
library changes the user is forced to keep the old shlib around.  For
things like libgcc, anytime gcc is updated means the *entire* library is
different.

Making things like libc into shlibs is good, but the 'everything' is a
shlib is a bad thing we've seen in the past.  Having use 'real' shlibs
for some time now, we have slowly moved back into what I would hope is
an acceptable compromise between 'usefulness' and 'overboard'.

Nate