Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 12:04:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Joe Yandle <joe@wlcg.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   GUI toolkit

In all the excitement of the past few days (we're over 1000, congrats
everyone!), I never got around to asking a question that's been nagging me
for some time.  Why do the unix jdk releases invariably use Motif as their
GUI toolkit?  Apart from the fact that it's the oldest toolkit around, I
see very little to recommend it.

When I first began writing Linux GUI apps a few years ago, I used Motif
for this reason.  However, I was never satisfied with their appearance;
Motif just isn't an attractive toolkit.  I looked around, and eventually
settled on GTK+.  It's good looking and has a liberal license (LGPL, which
is basically the GPL without the viral clauses, so you can link it with
proprietary code).

I guess this question is mostly posed towards Nate, but everyone else
feel free to respond.  Why don't we consider changing the widget set?  Is
it a matter of keeping source compatibility with other UNIX JDKs? Is it
familiarity with Motif?  Maybe it's just a desire to keep from having to
rewrite all the widget code?

curious,

Joe Yandle
Internet Programmer