Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 1996 11:26:34 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Michael Searle <searle@longacre.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nightmare

Michael Searle wrote in message ID
<mFE1517EC@longacre.demon.co.uk>:
> There are similar things on the Acorn that can handle arc files and tar.gz
> files, but it is very slow for tar.gz as the whole archive has to be read or
> written at any access. You could get around this by using a gz.tar file
> (with tar's blocksize changed to the disk's frag size), but a whole
> compressed FS (like Doublespace etc. for DOS) would be better than either.

Theoretically, if you handled large files in the archive, it would be
possible to compress the individual files rather than the entire
archive (and not loose too much in terms of compression, and gain a
lot in terms of access). ArcFS *MAY* have done something like this for
some of it's compression. I know that using tar for a read-write
archive is MURDER :-(

(Yes, I own an Arc :-) )

Gary