Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 1999 00:58:53 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <freyes@inch.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Hardware List" <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Testing HDs

Have two refurbished HDs that seem to be dying. Luckily they are still
under the 90 day warranty.

What is the best way to test drives upon bying them?
Continuous newfs?
For how long should one stress test them?

The drives I have were very lightly used for most of the time I have
had them. If I had done any kind of stress tests they would probably
have shown signs of problems early on.

Does a format with the controller utility help?
The "verify" function doesn't seem to be doing much. I tried to use
this just to get the drive in enough shape to get some files I needed.
Although I did get the files the verify didn't seem very helpfull.