Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 00:39:22 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        igorr@speechpro.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD-ROM troubles on i815EP based MB

Igor Roboul wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 11:54:50PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > unrelated to whether or not the hardware is supported or not by
> > FreeBSD.
> FreeBSD boots from CD, but could not mount /  from it :-(

Are we talking about the VIA chipset board that won't run after
4.5-RELEASE, or are we talking about the i815EP chipset board?

The problem is that you have asked two questions here.

> Also in 4.6 case, this was system upgraded from sources. But same
> problem when booting from intall CD.

This is irrelevent to the upgrade procedure I outlined; the upgade
procedure I gave you will work to upgrade a system from a version
that can find the CDROM to any later version which can't.  This is
why I gave you that specific procedure: the upgrade is run on the
old kernel that can find the CDROM drive.

ONE of the MANY reasons I gave you the procedure I did was that it
is possible that the driver needed for your CDROM drive and/or its
controller was omitted from the pseudo-floppy boot image.

> Yet again: system boots, sysinstall starts (in -CURRENT case), but it
> could not find CD :-(.
> With 4.6 system boots but without CD, both source upgraded and from
> installation CD.
>
> PS.
> I'm tracking -CURRENT on various machines from March, 2000. So, I know
> how system boots from CD.

FWIW, you still haven't identified the controller or the CDROM
drive or the probe messages from the 4.5-RELEASE that is able to
boot on the hardware, for either machine.  The chipset the machines
are using is not germane to this discussion: it's most likely just
useless information that has nothing to do with the problem.

If you are insisting that this is a driver problem, it would be
helpful to know:

1)	The last driver version that worked
2)	The driver version that didn't work

PS: Have you tried telling it not to load ACPI?

-- Terry