Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 16:15:16 +0000
From:      Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Chad David <davidc@issci.ca>
Subject:   Re: libobjc wierdness

   Back in December, I was trying to work out why libobjc always compiled
differently.  Now that I've worked it out, I thought I'd report back
(mostly for the archives).
   It turns out that the variability is caused by gcc's mechanism for
creating a unique name; when a file doesn't contain any programmer defined
global names, gcc generates one from the file name and some extra
stuff.  In gcc 2.95.4, this extra stuff is based on the time and pid; in
later versions, it is based on the inode's device, number, and file
modification time; and Nathan Sidwell has a patch which simply uses the
full path of the file.
   Applying his patch (with some minor changes to make it fit 2.95.4), I've
now got libobjc consistently building to the same file (apart from the
easily handled library index).

Colin Percival