Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 18:55:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nicole Harrington <freelist@webweaver.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, opsys@mail.webspan.net
Subject:   Re: Packet Engines - FreeBSD

 Yes, for www.ispchannel.com  Cable modems!

> If this is a design for an ISP, I would *seriously* recommend including
> *seperate* internal and external DNS.
>
> This is because "best known practice" for SMTP mail delivery with a
> dynamic IP assignment to customers whose domains you are hosting
> *requires* this:

<NEAT DRAWING SNIPPED>

> This allows an ISP to assign dynamic IP's (preserving the prescious
> static IP address assignments for his own machines and for clients
> who pay him (or her) lots of money and want to host their own servers
> (these are usually full time connections, anyway).
>
> You have to have a seperate internal server to allow you to prevent
> cached information from damaging your ability to correctly deliver
> the mail (ie: if someone cached that client.com's MX was y.y.y.y, and
> another customer dialed in and the IP was reassinged, that would be
> bad).

 I have looked over what you have sent and Thanks!
 However I don't belive that this will apply to what we are doing since..
A: Our DNS server has a set fwd and rev address for each address.
B: No one is allowed to use a domain name without having a dedicated connection.

 At least I belive that is what you are saying must be needed to prevent the pro
blems you describe. I could be Way Off.. Please let me know if I am. ( It's late
 Friday.. hello hello.. come in Brain...)

 Also, I have designed a Mailserver to run at MX35 to act as a FAILover with a l
arge que storage if I need to take take the mail system offline or the RAID syst
em dies somehow or things just get too busy. It also acts as the MX35 for
 clients who want to run mail at their site.

 Just to mention, I am using Qmail with Maildir delivery to overcome the fi
le locking problems of sendmail across an NFS link. It also is great for hosting
 a bunch of domains.

 Later, after it is all assembled I hope to write up what makes it tick and shar
e it with everyone here. The setup is ALL FreeBSD except for the DHCP servers (
 If only FreeBSD could run Sun/Solaris Binaries) and of course the Netapp device
s. Also the drawing needs to be updated since my budget got cut and I needed to
scale back a bit on the news system and virtual and ~ customers will stay on the
 same servers.

All the servers are:
400 MHZ pent II's with 128 or 256 Megs mem
Abit BX MB
S3 video
Intel Ether express Ethernet OR
Packetengines G-Nic cards
DPT 3334UW RAID cards with 32MB Simm
2 Seegate cheeta drives in Mirror
Siliconrax cases
Hovered around Network Appliance F630 File servers via the Packetengines GB HUB.

So far it looks like...

Webservice: apache 1.3
Virt FTP: ncftpd
FTP: wu FTP
Mail: Qmail and tcpd
News: Dnews  (for now - It works great and I think I can get up to 1000 users on
 a big box - had to save money somewhere)
Transparent/reverse proxy:  Squid

Nicole

     nicole@webweaver.net  - http://www.webweaver.net/
 webmistress@dangermouse.org - http://www.dangermouse.org/